To maintain supplier assurance levels, industries are making the jump to remote audits. With added information and communication technologies (ICT), remote audits enable quality and compliance teams to play an active role with ongoing supplier activities without disrupting critical operational areas.
The benefits of remote audits include lower costs, no travel restrictions, no logistical constraints, better use of resources and the ability to continuously monitor suppliers.
Supplier Audits Ensure the Highest Level of Quality
With the increased reliance on global suppliers, companies are looking to increase collaboration and transparency across the value chain. Now it is critical to maintain and streamline the supplier process using a single repository of suppliers.
Utilizing a supplier module allows for quick onboarding eliminates multiple paper surveys. The supplier management module collects, tracks and manages required supplier documents providing real-time status on the dashboard. Risk-based supplier audits can be scheduled, allowing suppliers to update certificates, specifications or instructions for use (IFUs), and other documents in one location, enabling users to communicate bill of material (BOM) needs.
Once the appropriate criteria are evaluated, auditors can generate a formatted report that includes the written audit observations of good practices and risks and problems identified. This report forms the basis of the discussion about the audit results and findings. An audit management system provides reporting capabilities that also generate trends and metrics against data gathered across reports. For example, using a system that can track multiple auditing groups, risk and prioritization can be rolled up and used to determine the prioritization of resources across groups, not just on a siloed basis within each group.
Suppose a quality incident is related to a supplier. In that case, the supplier portal allows real-time communication between the company and the supplier to resolve the issue and quarantine any suspected material or finished goods, providing more significant supply chain reliability. The ability to quickly add, monitor, and remove suppliers will significantly impact the company’s ability to reduce the cost of inadequate quality.
Keep Supplier Quality Top of Mind with Remote Audits
Resiliency has proven to be a key criterion in the supply chain. Those with an electronic system in place were further along in their digital transformation journey; however, organizations can still catch up.
The key to performing remote audits successfully is divided into six areas—plan, schedule, perform, report, action and close-out.
More Resources About Supplier Quality Management
- DEMO: TrackWise Digital Supplier Quality Management (SQM) – Hear about Sparta’s Supplier Quality Management process. We introduce the supplier portal concept that will enable real-time collaboration, data capture and we will also touch on the various reporting that we have seen be very effective in helping streamline the process.
- CASE STUDY: Orion Corporation Transforms Quality Operations and Supply Chain Traceability with TrackWise Digital – “We needed to simplify the process and make it more transparent.”
- BLOG: Protect Your Product From the Risks of Supply Chain Complexity – When it comes to the supply chain complexity, visibility and collaboration are an integral part of a proactive quality management approach.
- BLOG: Managing Quality Within the Medical Device Supply Chain – For medical device manufacturers, supplier quality management can give crucial confidence in the quality of supplier components or raw materials.
- BLOG: How to Ensure Supplier Quality in Medical Devices – Supplier quality management systems can help medical device manufacturers ensure high-quality processes across an increasingly complex supply chain.
- EVENT RECAP: Q&A from Sparta’s “How to Establish Supplier Qualifications” Session – At the 11th Annual Medical Device Supplier Quality Assurance Conference, Sparta’s Zillery Fortner presented her topic “How to Establish Supplier Qualifications.”
- EVENT RECAP: Sparta Experts Present Their Insights on Digital Quality Transformation and Supplier Management – Sparta Systems, A Honeywell company, was a proud platinum sponsor of the 5th Annual European Medical Device and Diagnostic Supplier Quality Management (SQM) conference in Brussels, Belgium.