CAPA – Corrective and Preventive Action
A fully-integrated CAPA system with automated routing, notification, delivery, escalation and approval capabilities
What Is a CAPA Management System?
A corrective and preventive action (CAPA) management system automates CAPAs initiated by deviations, incidents, complaints and other quality events. It tracks and manages CAPA plans, verifies effectiveness over time and integrates with related quality processes like change control and training. CAPA management software is right for any industry and enterprise that is required to comply with stringent regulations and industry standards. In fact, having CAPA processes in place as part of your quality management system is required by a number of regulations and industry standards, including GMP, ISO 9001 and 14001, TSCA, REACH and other international standards.
TrackWise Digital CAPA Management
Our corrective and preventive action management system automates CAPAs initiated by deviations, incidents, complaints and other quality events. It tracks and manages CAPA plans, verifies effectiveness over time and integrates with related quality processes like change control and training to help organizations like yours:
Get automatic routing, notifications and escalations that help eliminate time– consuming manual processes and protect your reputation by ensuring quality and safety issues are properly addressed.
Reduce the amount of time it takes to act on quality and safety issues and lower your operations and production costs and the likelihood of repeat incidents.
Remain fully compliant with 21 CFR Part 11 including full audit trail and electronic signature functionality. Demonstrate to regulatory agencies that proper corrective actions have been taken.
Insights About CAPA Management
CAPA management is the core of an organization’s enterprise quality management system (EQMS). FDA, ISO, EMA and other regulations and standards mandate a systematic approach to managing quality issues and resolutions.
Organizations must log events and problems, investigate them to determine root cause, propose corrective and preventive action plans, track and manage individual actions and measure effectiveness to ensure the root cause has been eliminated.
Implementing a CAPA program as part of the broader quality management system (QMS) improves the tracking and trending of key quality drivers and resulting actions.
While many organizations strive to implement this approach, only those with an effective quality management solution are completely able to do so.
The risks associated with poor CAPA management can include the continuation of defects or problems that can impact the quality of products or services, and the potential for noncompliance with industry regulations and standards.
As a quality manager in a regulated industry such as pharmaceuticals or medical devices, one of your most significant concerns is ensuring that your organization maintains compliance with industry regulations. One of the critical aspects of this process is the ability to effectively manage Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPA).
CAPA is a complex and often challenging process that requires collaboration and communication across multiple departments and stakeholders. As a quality manager, you may face various business problems that make it difficult to manage CAPA effectively. For example, you may struggle with tracking and documenting CAPA activities, identifying and addressing root causes and ensuring timely completion of corrective actions.
Implementing CAPA management software can help you address these challenges. By centralizing and automating the CAPA process, software solutions can improve efficiency, reduce errors, and streamline workflows. CAPA management software can also provide real-time visibility into CAPA status, progress, and results, making it easier for quality managers to track progress and ensure compliance.
For example, suppose a quality manager in the pharmaceutical industry is struggling to manage the CAPA process effectively, with multiple corrective actions being tracked across different departments and locations. In that case, CAPA management software could help them streamline the process, ensure timely completion of corrective actions, and track the implementation of preventive actions to reduce the likelihood of similar issues occurring in the future. Similarly, a quality manager in the medical device industry could use CAPA management software to identify and address root causes of quality issues, ensure timely completion of corrective and preventive actions, and demonstrate compliance with industry regulations and standards.
QMSs can help organizations manage CAPA by providing tools and functionality to identify and report issues or defects, investigate root causes, implement CAPAs and monitor the effectiveness of those actions. A QMS can also provide visibility into the status of CAPA activities, enabling organizations to make informed, data-driven decisions to reduce risk and improve quality.
- Increased efficiency and productivity: CAPA management software can help automate many of the time-consuming tasks associated with the CAPA process, such as identifying and reporting issues, investigating root causes, and developing and implementing corrective and preventive actions. This can free up time for quality managers to focus on more strategic tasks, such as developing and implementing process improvements.
- Improved accuracy and consistency: CAPA management software can help ensure that CAPA findings are accurate and consistent across different departments and locations, improving the overall quality and reliability of the CAPA process. This can help reduce the risk of errors and discrepancies and ensure that all CAPA findings are appropriately documented and addressed.
- Better data management and analysis: CAPA management software can help quality managers collect and analyze data more effectively, allowing them to identify trends and areas for improvement more easily. This can help quality managers develop more effective CAPA strategies and ensure that all CAPA findings are appropriately prioritized and addressed.
- Improved communication and collaboration: CAPA management software can help facilitate communication and collaboration between different departments and stakeholders, making it easier to share information, track progress, and resolve issues. This can help ensure that all stakeholders are kept informed throughout the CAPA process and that all CAPA findings are appropriately documented and addressed.
- Compliance with regulatory requirements: CAPA management software can help ensure that all CAPA findings are appropriately documented and addressed in accordance with regulatory requirements. This can help reduce the risk of non-compliance and improve the overall quality and safety of the products or services being provided.
Overall, using technology for CAPA management can help quality managers work more efficiently and effectively, improving the overall quality and safety of their products or services, while also reducing the risk of non-compliance and other issues. While there may be some upfront costs and disruption associated with implementing CAPA management software, the benefits of doing so far outweigh the costs in the long run.
Root cause analysis (RCA) is the process of drilling down to find the causes of the problem so corrective and preventive action can be taken. While there are multiple benefits to an RCA process, the main benefit allows an employer to discover the underlying or systemic problem to help prevent future occurrences, rather than the generalized or immediate causes of an incident. Learn how a holistic, predictive and proactive CAPA system fosters improvements continuously.
“We are proud to announce this important success together with Sparta Systems and Zambon” said Teresa Minero, Chief Executive Officer and founder of LifeBee, the Consulting partner of Sparta Systems in Italian speaking territories. “The Zambon Quality Management System represents the first significant and successful project developed in full synergy between Sparta and LifeBee. We especially thank Zambon for the proactive and open-minded approach in managing the change and we are looking forward to expanding the benefits of TrackWise in Zambon, as well as in other Italian Life Science companies”
About CAPA Management
Deploy a closed-loop corrective and preventative action (CAPA) management process with TrackWise Digital QMS
Taking the Burden Out of Corrective and Preventive Action
This eBook will provide an overview of obtaining a holistic, predictive and proactive CAPA system to foster improvements continuously.
The Elements of a Successful CAPA Process
Let’s explore the needs and effectiveness of CAPA and the elements prevalent in a successful system.
Digital CAPA Management Software
Discover the benefits of TrackWise Digital CAPA management software.